Saturday, August 12, 2006

Outwitting History...A Fabulous Read!

I just finished reading a fantastic book: Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books by Aaron Lansky.

First of all, it was just a great read. The stories of Lansky's experiences as he collects books around the whole world are awesome. The characters that he encounters leap off the page like the real people that they are and make you wish that you were sitting at the table with them sharing the stories that they share with Aaron.

Secondly, it truly made me, a person with very little Yiddish literature experience, want to learn Yiddish! Any interest out there?

Third, it made me proud of what we as an American Jewish community can accomplish. I loved Aaron's descriptions of the manner in which he raised the money for the Yiddish Book Center. And I want to visit this uniquely American institution...it's now on my list of places to visit!

Definitely a must-read. Highly recommended. Am Shalom's library has a copy...

No comments: