Friday, August 13, 2010

May I...

The words of  Rabbi Rami Shapiro:


May I cultivate the strength to look honestly at my actions.

May I cultivate the honesty to admit when I have been wrong.

May I cultivate the understanding to know how best to make amends.

May I cultivate the courage to ask for forgiveness.

May I cultivate the compassion to grant forgiveness when asked.

May I cultivate the humility to surrender myself to God.

May I cultivate the wisdom to know I do this not for myself alone but for all the world.

May the coming year be one of sweet delight to all.


The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, I'll be blogging (except on Shabbat) a thought for each day to help with your month of preparation...

No comments: