Sunday, September 11, 2011

Change is... #BlogElul

Today's Jewels of Elul question is:
If someone says to you, "You haven't changed a bit since I last saw you 5 years ago!" what would you say?
That personal growth is not something you can see.
That inner change, inner work, is hard business. And it's usually hidden.

When you go to the gym and change your eating habits, it usually manifests in a physical change.

But when you spend time with yourself, considering and thinking and working and praying and learning....you don't always look different.

To know that I'm not the same person I was five years ago...
To know that on the outside, I appear to be exactly the same....

It's a struggle. I'm not who you think I am.

I'm not who I used to be.

Even though I look the same.

So what does this teach?
That we have to approach each person as though they are someone new.
Give them the "benefit of the doubt."
The capacity for change is inside each of us.

If we believe that it is inside ourselves, we must acknowledge it in everyone else as well.

What's your story?

No comments: