Friday, September 02, 2011

Oh My Aching Legs #BlogElul

Okay, I'll admit it. It's been, um, quite some time since I've been to the gym.

Let's see...the baby is 9 months old? And there were at least 3 months of sluggish last-trimester days...so yep, that makes at least a year.

(Okay, I did try doing the 30 Day Shred for about that many days. But I don't somehow feel like that counted since it was in my living room and pajamas.)

So today I took a spin class.

(By the way, once upon a time I wrote a post entitled Why Spin Instructors are Like Rabbis. It is all still very true.)

It took me a full 30 minutes to figure out how to do it.
Yes, I know it's like riding a bike.

I just couldn't seem to get my rhythm together, I just couldn't feel like I was doing what the instructor was saying. I was out of breath, I was uncomfortable, I was very cranky. I was ready to give up and walk out. But I didn't stop.

Then a really wonderful thing happened at about the 30 minute mark. Things started to fall into place. I was able to push myself when she said "work harder!" I was able to move my body and feel that I was gaining from the experience, instead of just huffing and puffing along.

The last 20 minutes or so of the class were great. I worked hard, I gave it my all. When it ended, I was definitely ready for it to be over, but I felt great. I was so glad I hadn't quit halfway through.

I think that religious experiences are like that for many people. It's been a long time since they've had to work out their spiritual muscles. And the first part might be really hard. Many people just give up. But the ones who stick it out? We end up sore but happy the first night. And we go back for more and more, until it becomes a part of our routine, until the spiritual workout feels good and right and necessary.

Elul is a great time to start up a new habit. It's 30 days...a perfect amount of time to set goals and try new things. So how are you going to get in gear for the holidays?

P.S. Here's a post about having a healthy Elul.

Follow me or follow #BlogElul on Twitter for more posts about getting ready for a new year.

No comments: